If you love to explore . . . and want to stay close to
*1. Visit Prestwould Plantation and go back in time as you tour the 1790’s home of Sir Peyton and Lady Jean Skipwith, the gardens, slave quarters, and loom houses. A National Historic Landmark and architectural treasure that has been featured in countless magazines and on the History and Home & garden television channels. You can also linger on the grounds and enjoy a gourmet picnic next to ancient Oaks. Hours Monday through Saturday 12:30 p.m. – last tour 3:30 p.m. Sunday 1:30 p.m. – last tour 3:30 p.m.
Directions: From the
* 2. Visit the Picturesque Town of Boydton
and step into the past with their historical walking tour. While there, visit the Boyd Tavern, circa 1790, which was a stopover for travelers on the
Directions: (8 Miles East of Clarksville on Highway 58) From the inn continue East on 58 over the lake and eight miles down you will see a sign for Boydton’s Historical District. Turn right.
* 3. While in Boydton . . . Enjoy Liberty Hill Nature Trail
Located on the south side of the John H. Kerr Dam, the 1.6
mile Liberty Hill Nature Trail is a self-guided interpretive trail that
meanders through mixed hardwoods and an old cemetery. The white-blazed trail
descends to the river and overlooks
* 4. Ate too much for dinner? Treat yourself to the Clarksville Historic Walking Tour around
* 5. John H. Kerr Dam – A Southside Marvel . . . take the windy country roads to the Dam where you will be amazed at the magnamity of the structure as well as the 5 feet catfish that you can see being caught by fishermen next to the turbines. There is also a small museum / nature center, fishing pier, walking and biking trails at the Dam.
Directions: Take Highway 58 East over the Bridge for approx. 7 miles and then turn right at the marker for John H. Kerr Dam and follow the signs.
Gardens Hours Mon.- Sun. 10am –5pm
the Inn head East on Highway 58 over the
Buffalo Springs Wayside
Seven miles west of
The State Park provides some of the best trails in the area as well as a
spectacular view of the
Directions: From the Inn turn right on Highway 58 East
and continue over the
The beautiful old mill site on the Meherrin River has been Southside Virginia’s unofficial park for generations – and long South Hill’s best-kept secret. Recent restoration of the site and the publication of this book have greatly heightened interest in the Meherrin River, the legacy of the Whittle family and the secrets of the old mill.
The ruins of at least 35 water mills are hidden along the river and creeks that empty into the Meherrin. Several were built before the American Revolution, and all predate the Civil War. Whittles Mill is the oldest and best known of the old mills along the Meherrin River.
Here you’ll get a glimpse of the natural and cultural significance of Whittle’s Mill – a remarkable American story whose roots all converge at the old mill on the Meherrin River.
Along with all of these marvels, you will also find geological formations such as old mountain ranges and hidden ponds!
* 11. Our favorite Activity on the
20’ Pontoon Boat (6 person boat): 3 Hour Rental $130, Full Day 9am – 5pm $185
22’ Pontoon Boast (8 person)
24’ Pontoon Boat (10 person)
We will be happy to call and set-up your rental or you may do so by calling 434-374-2525
* 13. Fishing Guide Services on the
Bud’s Guide Service – 434-374-0348
Doug Miley – Kayak Fishing Tours 252-213-9501
Topwater Guide Services – 434-374-8914
Fishing Supplies : Bobcat’s
* 14. For the Golfer in the Family . . . Kinderton Country Club offers a semi-private Donald Ross Designed course. Most golfers say that you must experience the particularly difficult 393 yard sixth hole featuring a 210 yard tee shot across a lake! Golf cart rental also available. Tee times can be arranged by Nichol or you may call 434-374-8822. FEES PAYABLE TO VENDOR. SEE US FOR A KINDERTON DISCOUNT COUPON!!!
Directions: From the
*15. NEW!!!! NEW!!! Bondurant
In the spring of 2015, the Bondurant family went back to their roots of Moonshine distilling, it was a natural transition, as their family lineage comes straight out of the great liquor prohibition of the early 1900’s. They now share their history and produce wonderful ‘shine with locally grown barley and corn.
9 East 3rd Street, Chase City, VA 23924
*16. NEW!! NEW!! American Way Country
Offering down home, simple wines. American Way Country Winery began making craft wines in 1970 and recently began selling publicly. All fruits and berries are grown on site and you can taste your wine before it is bottled! Offering Blackberry, Strawberry, Peach, Plum, Persimmon, Watermelon, Pumpkin, Tomato and Pear just to name a few.
13750 Rt 47, Chase City, VA 434-262-1250
* 17. NEW!!! NEW!!!Three Sister’s Winery – This is a true boutique family winery; three sisters own it, and picking and bottling are fun reunion occasions for the Powell Family. Fun, quirky names adorn these traditional Virginia wines, such as Sweet Nannie Muscadine and Voluptuous Maid Scuppernogg. Located down a beautiful country road, a few miles south of Clarksville. Open for tastings on Saturday and other days by appointment. 434-298-6693 5484 Shiney Rock Road, Clarksville, VA 23927
* 18. Longwood Day Use Area
One of the nicest spots on the lake to enjoy swimming, a picnic or fishing. Located near the North Carolina State Line (approximately 4.5 miles from the Inn) , the park has a beautiful swimming area as well as a park, boat launch and play ground. There is a small fee for the use of this area.
If you want to Stay Close to the Inn & Pamper yourself . . .
* 19. MASSAGE at the
Let our registered Massage Therapist, Jennifer Eubanks of Natural Healing Massage, treat you to an afternoon relaxation. Different massage techniques available from relaxation to deep tissue. She will come to the inn and set up her massage table in your room. Prices:, 1 Hour $75, Hour and half $95. We will be happy to call Jennifer to set up your appointment. SERVICES PAYABLE TO VENDOR.
* 21. Cooper’s Springs. Housed in the restored original smokehouse behind is Cooper’s Springs Hot Tub. After a day of exploring or right before your massage, slip out back to enjoy our 60 jet 10 person HOT TUB. Some guidelines for the spa . . .
-Please shower in your room before entering since we use biodegradable, eco-friendly chemicals and it helps us to maintain the purity of the water if you shower before use.
- You do not need to take your room bath towels; there are jumbo fluffy white spa towels in a cabinet in the smokehouse for your use.
- There are hooks to hang your clothes and robes behind the door. We know you may not want to walk through the dining area in your suit or robe, so you may also change in the enclosed smokehouse which is very private.
- There is a chandelier with a dimmer switch on the wall on the right of the hot tub as well as candles to light the area. Please extinguish all candles after use.
- Operating the tub is quite easy.There are two buttons for jets and one button for a blue mood light.P lease turn off after use. Please replace HOT TUB COVER after use.
We want you to relax and enjoy the spa . . . just let us know if you need ice, glasses, or wine to take out with you!
Galleria – Purveyors
of Regional and Local Fine Art. Galleria
offers an eclectic mix from over 60 different artists in original art,
photography, textiles, pottery, hand crafted jewelry, sculpture, turned wood,
prints, and much more.
Halls Lakeside Gallery – offers work by Resident Artists including acrylic, carvings, opal jewelry, bead work, and watercolours. Located just off Virginia Avenue across from the Clarksville Post office
Grandfather’s Country Creations – Antiques, Handmade
Clarksville Furniture Company, Inc. – Specializing in home
furnishings and accessories.
Hite’s Clothing – locally owned clothing department store – in addition to the new fashions and styles, they carry an array of lake-country themed clothing and merchandise. CLOSED SUNDAYS 301 Virginia Ave
The Cottage Barn – Not only offers scooped ice cream, but also reclaimed furniture, paint supplies and art classes!! 307 Virginia Ave
Strum & Company - Hand to find Antiques and Uniques.
*** Also, see Nichol for maps and directions to our favorite “off the beaten path” antiques and farm stores. You can find some real treasures at great prices!
Keep Exploring . . . Just a
* 22. For movies, bowling, and roller skating . . . Visit the World of Sports
Entertainment Center in
Directions: Take Highway 58 West
towards South Boston for 18 miles and building is on your left (18 miles from
*23. Rosemont Winery – a family owned and operated vineyard and winery located south of La Crosse, towards Lake Gaston. Featuring 100% estate grown and produced fine wines. Open daily for tasting and tours. See us for a Free Tasting Coupon!!
Blackridge Road, La Crosse, VA 23950
*24. Treat yourself to a sampling of Southern Wines.
Bright Meadows Farm Winery is located approx. 35 miles from the inn.
Vineyard and Winery
among the historic rolling hills of Halifax County, on the premises of 19th
century tobacco plantation, small family owned & operated vineyard &
winery. Restored 115 year old barn offers
southern country wine and hospitality. Seven Wines now available.
1181 Nathalie Road
Nathalie, VA 24577
NEW!! NEW!!Hunting Creek Vineyards - Hunting Creek Vineyards started in April 2002 with the planting of 100 Merlot, 100 Petit Verdot and 100 Viognier vines. Directed over the beginning years by superb consultants Eric Capps and Jason Murray, Hunting Creek Vineyards expanded to one acre of Petit Verdot, one acre of Viognier and one-half acre of Merlot grapes.
Our winery started small in 2008, producing 180 cases with our first offerings beginning in the fall 2009. In 2012, we added 1/2 acre of Malbec against the advice of some experts in viticulture. After overcoming initial obstacles, we are excited to be able to add our first harvest of the Malbec to the 2014 Indulgence which will be bottled in the Spring of 2016. 2000 Addie
Williams Trail, Clover, VA 24534
*25. NEW!! NEW!!! Molliver Vineyards - located along the Banister River on 134+ acres of tranquil Southern Virginia countryside. Our section of this river has been designated a "Scenic River" by the Commonwealth of Virginia.
Many of our wines are made from old-world grapes that have been enjoyed for centuries. Some of our European style red wines are cabernet sauvignon, cabernet franc, and merlot. For those who prefer red wine made from American fruit, we offer Blackberry Wine, Norton Wine, and our proprietary chocolate wine. Between these extremes is our Chambourcin hybrid. This wine has been rated a "Best Buy" by Wine Enthusiast Magazine. Some of our old-world style white wines are Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc, Pinot Grigio, Riesling and Viognier. Our hybrid white wine is Vidal Blanc. All wines are subject to availability.
2046 Waller Road Nathalie, Virginia 2577
A Virginia CQA Winery Offering Wine Tastings
* 26. NEW!! NEW!! Springfield Distillery - The distillery was completed in 2016. The main distilled spirits plant is constructed using modern construction techniques to ensure compliance with health and safety, environmental controls and waste management. The tasting room is an old log cabin constructed in the early 1800s and moved to the property in 2015.
Springfield Distillery is located on River Road, one of Virginia’s scenic byways, and the area is rich in history and agriculture. Springfield Distillery’s log cabin tasting room with its wraparound porch is the perfect setting to relax and enjoy a hand crafted spirit.
9040 River Road, Halifax, VA 24558
*27. Staunton River State Park takes its name from the river that
borders the park, named for Captain Henry Staunton who, before the
Revolutionary War, commanded a company of soldiers to protect early settlers
from Indian attacks. This section of the Dan River became known as Captain
Staunton’s River and later,
(434)-572-4623 or 1-800-933-PARK
* 28 Paddling the Waterways of Halifax County
* 29. For the History Buff & Theatre Lover . . . The Prizery
* 30. Berry Hill Plantation
Marveling at one of the finest examples of Greek Revival architecture in
*31 . While Visiting Berry Hill. . . Make sure you Enjoy The River Road Scenic Drive
The Road which follows SR 659, travels through perhaps the single most
historic area in
*32. Racing Fans . . .
*33. For the horse enthusiast. Trail Rides are available through Shangri La Guest Ranch. A true country experience as you rides past the scenic pastures to their acres of forested or down to their ponds. The trail rides are $40 an hour. SERVICES PAYABLE TO VENDOR.
3219 Cluster Springs Road, South Boston, VA 24592
Cooper's Landing can
also provide you with a gourmet picnic basket to take along your adventure to
enjoy out in the country with advance notice.
Head southwest on Virginia Ave toward 9th St
Continue straight onto US-58 BUS W/Virginia Ave
Continue to follow US-58 BUS W
Turn right onto US-58 W
Turn left onto US-501 S
Turn right onto State Rte 658
Turn left at State Rte 706
Destination will be on the right
50 to 90 Minutes away from the
* 34. River Walk Trail / The Crossing at the Dan
Walk alongside rushing water, under lush shade trees as you enjoy the three
and one half mile Riverwalk Trail that connects the Crossing of the Dan with
Martinsville Speedway’s 2006 season marks the track’s 59th year
of operation. Founded by H. Clay Earles the year before NASCAR was formed,
Martinsville Speedway is one of the oldest tracks in
* 36. Local Wineries:
Mill Vineyard & Winery is located approx. an hour and 15
minutes from the
In 1888, a few
*36. There are also several North Carolina Wineries 40 minutes to an hour and a half from the Inn. See Nichol for Maps and suggestions.
DINING . . . . Of course you are welcome to eat at the Inn, but if you feel like exploring, please see Nichol and I will be happy to provide you with maps and menus to some of our favorite lunch and dinner destinations!
For any of the activities above we can provide you with a gourmet picnic basket with advance notice. Each basket includes a blanket, wine glasses, china, silverware, flowers, and linen napkins.
Wine (red or white), Gourmet Cheese, Fresh Fruit, and a Chocolate Treat Basket $40
Bottled Water / Soda, Sandwiches, Fresh Fruit, and Dessert Basket $32
Available Gifts . . . Extend the Memory of your stay!
Embroidered Polo Shirts $30
Available in Blue, White, or Black in sized Medium, Large, X-Large)
Embroidered Baseball Hats $18
Available in Black or White
Embroidered “Fluffy” Robes $75
Available in White . . . one size fits most
Cooper’s Landing Herbal Bath Grains $2 / packet